Today a serene and romantic place. In the past - rush and busy. Such was the place where traders roamed the Via Bohemica trade road and unknowingly laid the cornerstone of a new, succesful town - Trnava.

Trade and crafts have dominated in Trnava from earliest recorded time.
 Centuries ago when important traders roamed Europe with their goods, they never omitted a small, attractive market settlement, located at the same place as the present day St. Nicolas square. It is here, at the oldest place of Trnava, where old trade roads crossed, including the Czech road - Via Bohemica, which connected Hungary with Western Europe.
 
In the 9th century latest, the first settlers from the original medieval settlement called Trnava or Sobota started settling on the water meadow of a brook called Trnávka.  "Sobota" (in English Saturday) signified the importance of this market day. The first mention of Trnava from the 1211 refers to a parish church located at the east side of the square from the 11th century. However, after receiving the privileges of a free royal town in 1238, this Roman church wasn't so satisfying for the town people. And so, in 1380, the first construction works on a new splendid and majestic cathedral began. This cathedral is currently known as St.  Nicolas Basilica. It replaced the original of St. George's Church.
 
Nowadays, the square belongs to the most wonderful places in Trnava. The atmosphere of this place where several landmarks are located, including the St. Nicolas Basilica, Archbishop's Palace, or Oláh seminary - today's Museum of book culture - is simply unique and magical. In addition, this is a place where medieval markets take place during the time before Christmas, symbolically enhancing the status of this historical market. If you wish to travel in time and have a rest in the shadow of the hundred years old walls, the St.  Nicolas square will be the perfect place.

See the map

Námestie sv. Mikuláša
Námestie sv. Mikuláša,
917 01 Trnava